Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Big Issue

I used to buy the Dutch version of the Big Issue, so I decided to make it a tradition and buy the paper here too. Apart from the interesting stuff that is in it, you can have fun buying it too.

Just around the corner from the library where I go to use the internet, were 3 blokes propped up against a shopwindow. The papers were on a little table in front of them, just barely out of the dripping rain. I passed them twice and they didn't give me as much as a look. Well, I do not feel really obliged to ask if I can please please buy a newspaper from them, so no deal there.

Luckily another vendor got the idea of how to sell and was able to follow up on it. He was on his own two streets further up and smiling at everyone, while trying to make conversation. You know, saying things as 'How is your day today?' and 'How are you?'. How can you resist? Actually, a lot of fancy dressed people did, but being a just immigrated Dutchie, without any friends here, I was of course a pushover. So we started a conversation and he tried to guess my birthcountry. When I admitted being Dutch, he seamlessly went on with the remark 'Dutch women are always very beautiful. I've known one and she had the most incredible blue eyes.'

Well, to cut a long story short: you'll understand that he will be my regular vendor from now on?

Bye the way, I also had a good laugh yesterday with a guy who put up a sign reading '3 jokes for a dollar'. Works a lot better than 'I'm hungry', I can assure you.

No comments: